Monday, February 23, 2009

Indoor vs Outdoor & Shoes...

Ok so I went "sneaker" shopping this weekend because the shoes I have been using to work out in have holes in them to the point that my pinky toes were hanging out. I went to a special shoe store here where they evaluate your run/walk and help you find the right shoe for your feet. It was an interesting experience. Evidently I supinate (feet bow outward) when I walk and stand but pronate when I run. Pronating is very common according to Mr. Runnerguy at the shop but to do the opposite in standing and walking than in running is "weird" as he put it...Oh well!

Because I spend most of my working out time in aerobic type classes and only run about 6-7 miles a week (I'm a new runner), Mr. Runnerguy suggested I get a more aerobic shoe and if possible save up for a shoe I use only for running. He didn't have any major suggestions so if anyone has a specific type of shoe they like to use, please let me know! The new aerobic shoes are just about the ugliest shoe ever but they are super comfortable so I guess that is what is supposed to matter.

Also, it is COLD so I've been running inside on a treadmill and I did learn a nice tidbit from Mr. Runnerguy for any other newbies like me. He said to make the transition easier from running indoor to outdoor is to put the treadmill on a bit of an incline (like 1.5-2.0.) He said I'll see a noticeable difference this week but probably will be used to it by my runs late next week. HOPE SO!

Thanks for any input you guys might have!

Jenn

1 comment:

  1. I just bought new shoes also from an expert Runnerguy -- the Athletic Shop near Belmont. Anyway, I love Mizuno and Asics. I ended up getting Mizuno because they felt better, but according to runner guy, different people feel better with different brands.

    ReplyDelete