Wednesday, February 4, 2009

5 questions

OK Sarah ... here I go ...
1. Why have I added fitness to my lifestyle?
Well, about a year and a half ago, Heather and I were walking everyday for weight loss (I was 35 lbs over weight)... she said,"let's run, Mom" to which I replied ... "No Heather, I'm too old to start running"... Well, 2 half marathons and several 5K's later ... I have never felt better about myself in my life. I have figured out that if I want to be able to take care of others, I must 1st take care of myself.

2. Who/what inspires me:
Who:My daughters. Heather kept encouraging me and my 50-something body that I could do it, we did our 1st 1/2 together last spring. And Sarah, who couldn't even walk a mile with me when I was just starting, and then crossed the finish line with me in Memphis in Dec(one of the most memorable moments of MY life)after we RAN the entire 1/2 ... a first for me! And now look at her ... she's going to run a full marathon! I am SO proud of you, Sarah! And Kim, my long distance running partner and dear friend ... we've solved a whole lot of the world's problems during those Sat am runs!
What: The Biggest Loser show. If those people can change their lives ... I sure as heck can, too!

3.Finding time ...
I am a psycho time manager ... you should see my lists! I ALWAYS make sure I have scheduled in time for the gym, treadmill, a run, etc. You can get by on 30 mins a day if you have to. Get a 'buddy' ... when you know they're depending on you, it's harder to skip a work-out. Once you get in the habit, you'll really miss it,

4.Best part about working out.
By far it is the way I feel the rest of the day. Why, I could slay a dragon! My attitude is better, I get more done (this is important to me as you might get from my 'lists'), I burn calories so I lose pounds, I can fit into a smaller size jeans (which translates into 'shopping'!) and I am setting a good example for those I love ... now THAT is motivation!!!

5. music?
I really like to run or workout with a buddy so would WAY rather visit but I do have a few favs when I'm forced to go it alone ... Sting and Santana are at the top of my list.

6. FOOD.
Let's face it, we HAVE to eat. And, I love food. So the big thing for me is to make sure what I eat is fueling my desire to live a healthier lifestyle. We know that it's all about calories in vs calories out so when you know that a pound equals 3500 cal, you'll need to BURN 500 cal/day to lose 1 lb in a week. You can do that by eating 500 cal less per day than your body requires to live OR you can exercise and burn 500 cal per day OR a combination of the two and PRESTO! you are becoming a different person!

I could and will write more about this, my fav subject, if anyone is interested. In the meantime, keep up the good work all you excercizers and for those of you thinking about getting started; today is the 1st day of the rest of your life!

2 comments:

  1. Go Ann Marie!!!!

    You remember when me,Phil, & Mason came by last Aug. or somewhere around that time, to see you and Rick?
    Me and Phil couldn't stop talking about how GREAT you looked. Not that you looked bad to begin with, but we could tell you had been exercising.
    Ater Phil talked to you last night, I think he may start walk/run with me. Then he can be my "buddy." lol
    Glad to see your post on here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom, I hope it is obvious for everyone to see how easy it was for me to follow in your fast-paced footsteps.

    Thank you so much for sharing and being the every-positive, energetic role model.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete