Sunday, February 1, 2009

Five questions

Since All In Stride is a blog set up as a forum to discuss our journey to a healthier life, I thought I'd throw out some questions to spark some dialogue about why we're doing what we're doing.

1. Why have you added fitness to your lifestyle?
I have never made a true effort to make time for fitness, and after having a baby, I wanted to lose the weight (almost 50 pounds), and I knew I needed to be in shape to keep up with him and still have energy to spare. Now, I am in the middle range of my BMI for the first time.



2. Who/What inspires you?
Who: My mom and my sister have been the inspiration behind my desire to lose weight, start running and run my first marathon. What: Knowing that I can run 13 miles motivates me to run it again. I know my body can do it, I have to keep my mind on board.



3. What do you find challenging about finding the time to fit in a workout?
Even as a stay-at-home mom, budgeting my time wisely is an art I have not perfected. I find that I will often make excuses to not get on the treadmill, especially- I'll create a list of things to do or get on the computer. But it ALWAYS pays off when I get motivated. If I don't have time to run, I'll lift weights (or canned food) or my son or wash windows or was the car- I'll find something that resembles exercise.

4. What is the best part about working out?
Let me clear this up. I am not on a diet. In fact, I have decided I will never diet again.
I CAN EAT WHATEVER I WANT. I am not exaggerating. I run because I love to eat: pizza, BREAD, pasta, hamburgers, Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas dinner, Jelly Bellies, Chinese and I love beer- REAL beer (like Rogue and Fat Tire and Sam Adams), not the light stuff. I'd rather run five miles and eat what I want, than drink some horrible 60 calorie beer and eat a rice cake.


*Disclaimer: I certainly don't eat like this every day. I do eat a healthy diet and try to make sure I'm balancing my veggies and fruits and complex carbs, but I never feel guilty about eating any of my favorite foods whenever I want.

5. Do you workout/run/walk, etc. to music? What is your favorite song(s)?
I love LOVE Vampire Weekend especially the Walcott on their self-titled album. The Ting Tings have several great workout tunes- especially for you walkers. I highly recommend the third track on We Started Nothing. Led Zeppelin IV, CCR, The Submarines, Beatles, Jimmy Smith (Satin Doll and Organ Grinder's Swing)... so many more, but if you ask my husband, he'd include the Empire Strikes Back soundtract.



Keep these questions, add more... keep the conversation going!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah - check out Gaslight Anthem's The '59 Sound. I haven't been running lately (bad e!) but I love to walk Banjo to Trader Joe's and rock it on my ipod. I think it would be great running music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I will give it a go :)
    Don't say "bad e," just get out there when you can. You know what it takes.
    And you don't have to run a marathon, you know- let your hubby worry about that.

    ReplyDelete