Monday, January 19, 2009

Week 3- Family Affair

I have decided to document my journey to my first marathon (Country Music), which will be held in April. I am in week 3 of a 16-week training regiment. 



This morning, my mom, sister and I decided to brave the snow and headed to our city's greenway trail to run. Mom and sis will be running the half together, and I'll take the full solo. 

It was a brisk, windy 32-degree run. We ran 4.5 miles in about 50 minutes with a warm up and cool down of about a half mile. 

I am using a training program I found on Runner's World: SmartCoach. It is based on my half-marathon time (St. Jude Memphis Marathon) which I ran in December with my mom and our friend, Kim. Mom and I finished hand-in-hand with a time of about 2:14.  

3 comments:

  1. I just clicked on this link from your gilliam.life blog to check it out.

    Congratulations on deciding to run this marathon. You've got some major determination. Can you throw some my way.

    If you have time, what are some suggestions you could give me on how to get started runnning to get in shape, not really to enter marathons. Like, how did you first start? How many days a week did you walk/run and for how long? How do you make the time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandie!

    I'd love to help! That is what this site is for- I'll add you as a contributor!

    To start running to get in shape, I'd log on to www.runnersworld.com (there is a link at the top of this page), and go to training- 5k for beginners. This is a great workout and how both me and my hubby got started.

    I try to do 30 minutes of exercise no matter what everyday- that includes housework!

    On "training days" I try to run about an hour or an hour and a half and my long runs (on Saturday) usually take two hours at least. On the other days "cross train days," I try to fit in yoga or weights for 30 minutes only.

    I am able to manage my time a little easier since I'm not working full-time, but I know for the hubby, he is having to get up earlier or get on the treadmill as soon as the boy goes to bed.

    It is a complete lifestyle change (for the good) to add exercise in to your daily routine, but you'll find- like watching your favorite show- it will become part of your life.

    Remember, I JUST started running last year, and that was after being a smoker for 10. If I can do it YOU can.

    And you don't have to run a marathon, but once you can run 3 miles, you may change your mind ;)

    And ask away! I RAN (hee hee) into a group Saturday and asked about a million questions.

    I hope All In Stride will be a good way for us to help each other!

    Good luck and RUN GIRL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for the advice Sarah. I just have to sit down and figure out a schedule that I can stick too. I will check out that website. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete