Monday, April 20, 2009

Marathon checklist


My year of training has led me to this. The County Music Full Marathon.
Click here to have pity/view the course.
Thanks to my running buddies and runnersworld.com, I think I'm as ready as I'll ever be.
As I'm preparing for the big one this week, I ran across a great checklist (for those of you going or racing at all this year):

Running shoes
Comfortable socks
Lightweight shorts or pants depending on the weather on race day
Lightweight and breathable top depending on the weather on race day
Hat
Sunglasses
Additional clothing if you plan to leave extra clothing at the finish line
Watch with the ability to take splits
Heart rate monitor if you plan to use one during the race
Identification
Any paperwork required for check-in
Race number if it was mailed to your prior to the race or if you picked it up at a pre-race check-in event
Race belt if you intend to use one in place of safety pins to secure your race number
Timing chip if it was mailed to your prior to the race or if you picked it up at a pre-race check-in event
Sunscreen
Hydration pack and liquid to fill the hydration pack
Nutrition bars or energy gels if you plan to carry your own on the course

Here are a few I've added:

- Money (for beer, Gatorade, etc immediately after the race)
- Gum
- Chapstick
- Ibuprofen
- Hanky (for those with runny noses)
- iPod

Please feel free to add to the checklist or add any additional marathon advice!
Good luck to all running this weekend and those keeping up with their training this week.

3 comments: