Thursday, March 25, 2010

Get Out!


We all have different motivations for getting fit. I've been thinking about mine lately, and I thought I'd share a few.

1. My kids. I have two rough-and-tumble boys, and lying around the house is just not an option. They literally bounce off the walls (or climb - see photo above) when I don't get them out somewhere to exercise. Running, climbing, rolling, biking, scootering, skating - whatever the activity, exercise makes us all sleep better, eat better, feel happier and talk nicer.

2. My mental heath. Running helps me feel more calm and in control. I usually have more energy, a better attitude and a can-do approach to challenges when I start my day with a run.

3. Camaraderie and accountability. I've found a fabulous running partner in my neighbor Erin. We talk, vent, laugh and generally help each other along. It was raining outside at 5:15 this morning, and I was considering wimping out. So I texted her.
Me: Raining - still want to go?
Erin: Yes - no thunderstorms.
Me: OK!

We ran between 5-6 miles in the rain and the dark, and we both felt great about it. Without that nudge, I'm sure I would have crept back under the covers.

4. Goals. It feels good to be working toward something that has to do with my own well-being. This time it's the Country Music Half-Marathon. After that, I'll focus on some shorter races to keep me going.

5. Lookin' good. Running about 20 miles a week along with other activities has the great side benefit of keeping your weight down. You can't help but feel great about that.



No comments:

Post a Comment