Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I Do It For My Friends and Family

After reading the Inspirational Stories and wanting to be part of "Operation Bring All In Stride Back" I decided to start by telling my story. What got me started initially, who knows? I have a few ideas, my sister has always been a runner and looks amazing after having 3 kids, boredom after having a child and giving up the night life, wanting to get out there and do something with my husband and son, the need to lose some baby weight. I do know my life was moving from one phase to the next and I wasn't quite sure how to handle it all and this was a great outlet for me! I also know what has kept me going:

First and foremost my family! My husband, son and I run together. My 22 month old loves to be pushed in the jogging stroller and my husband and I love running together. It's been a wonderful way for our family to bond and have a great time!

Next is my friend Jodi! She was going through a divorce and needed an outlet as much as I did so we started running together. She had never ran in her life and is now addicted! We talk for hours on our runs and I always look forward to these. It really doesn't seem all that bad when you have someone to run with.

The Music City Runners : This group actually broke off from my original group and just started, however, these are the same people who have gotten me through many Monday night runs. And the trainer Stephen Taylor is just amazing. I mean where do you get an award winning triathlete to share his knowledge with you for free every Monday night and lay out training courses. I mean I hate running hill repeats at Love Circle but it did shave a full minute off my 5K in a month. And besides this group includes my son Kingston in everything. They list him as a participant in every race he does and he loves them.

And probably my biggest motivator has been 2 of my Uncles and my cousin. My Cousin has had 2 heart transplants and my Uncles are both awaiting heart transplants. When I feel like I can't make it anymore I think of them. We obviously have bad hearts in my family and I need to do everything I can to protect mine and to raise my son in an environment where exercise is fun and a way of life. I need to run because they can't right now.

All these things helped me to run 10 5K's and compete with my husband in the Muddy Buddy in 2009. I would have ran the Nashville Half Marathon in November but I found out I was pregnant with our second son in August and my doctor felt that although I was up to 9 miles on long runs it would be best if I waited on the half marathon so 2010 is my half marathon year :)! As for what I've been doing lately. I've been doing a lot of walking. I ran up until about a month ago and then my sciatic nerve began to hurt really bad so I've backed off but I'm still walking and enjoying the exercise and I know this time I'll already have my motivation ready to get right back into the swing of things!

PS: If you're a walker, runner, a run/walker, a beginner whatever and you need a group to run with check out the Music City Runners. We meet every Monday at the Parthenon and there is something for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Great story Rachel! This motivates me to keep up the walk/run even though I'm pregnant now. Thanks for sharing!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. RACHEL! OH MY!!! What an awesome story. You rock my socks and are the SINGLE reason I WILL CONTINUE running when I get preggers.
    Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete